I don’t know about you but I’m all about savory breakfast. Bagels, eggs, omelets – I love them all! Pancakes however, have a special place in my heart. Growing up my dad would make them almost every weekend so I knew I had to find a way to make a healthy version for my recipe collection.
(I didn’t make this version vegan but I’ll show you how if you scroll down)
Traditionally pancakes are made with all-purpose white flour, but the combination of rice flour and spelt flour gives this version a heartier flavor.
I love to substitute eggs with chia eggs to add an extra boost of omega-3’s, fiber, without the added bad cholesterol. Not to say I’m anti-egg, but in this particular recipe the chia seeds lend themselves nicely to the earthy flavors.
Everyone is familiar with the concept of putting fruit in pancakes; blueberries, bananas, and strawberries are all common additions. Pancakes are a version of cake…and carrot cake is a type of cake…so why not carrot pancakes?!
You honestly don’t even taste the carrot, it’s just a secret healthy addition. These are delicious topped with a blueberry infused sauce, or simply a classic pat of butter and maple syrup.
Looking to take a healthier approach to your weekend brunch menu? Look no further than these gluten-free carrot cake pancakes!
Vegans: Don’t be put off by the buttermilk in this recipe, a simple substitution for buttermilk is combining one cup of your favorite vegan milk and one tbsp of vinegar for every cup of buttermilk.
If you have been nervous about jumping into gluten-free baking because of the various kinds of ingredients you may encounter, don’t worry! I’ll show you the exact brands I use that I have found work best in my recipes:
- ½ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ⅓ cup potato starch
- 3 tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder (GF)
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 chia eggs (can substitute regular eggs)
- 1½ cups grated carrot
- Whisk together flours, potato starch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and xanthan gum until combined (about 1 minute)
- Add chia eggs, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla and continue to whisk until only a few lumps remain
- Heat a large non-stick pan on medium-high heat
- Ladle pancake batter onto the pan and cook until top starts to bubble. Flip and cook the opposite side until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with preferred topping.